Our Garden
This year, the kids and I are doing a community garden plot again. We live in an apartment, so we have no space to garden in at home, but Burlington Parks and Recreation Department has a wonderful city-wide community garden program with ample space.
When we started the garden, this was our plot. (Not the whole length, though.)
I had each child grow a tray of seedlings from seed. I plan to use this experience as part of our science requirement for our home study portfolios.
Here is Big E:
The D:
And Little E:
Here is the garden after our first big work day.
That was way back on May 30. After that, we had so many disruptions that we didn't make it back to the garden until Monday this week - almost two weeks later, one of which was very rainy. In case you didn't know, weeds love rain. So when we made it over there, the patch at the front of the garden that hadn't been worked yet had 6" tall weeds in it!
Unfortunately, I forgot my camera.
We worked for a little while that day, then came again on Tuesday and worked for a couple of hours. We mostly weeded, but also planted some more seeds. It is almost back in good shape.
Again, I forgot my camera, but we will be going back Friday to finish.
I love to garden with the kids because it teaches them where their food comes from. It also gives them the chance to work for their own food and understand that there is a lot of work that goes into providing food, whether that means growing it, preparing it, or even working for the money to buy food that others have grown and prepared.



0 comments:
Post a Comment