Homemade Salad Dressing
I made homemade salad dressing last night for the first time. It was partly to save money and partly to avoid all of the additives that are in salad dressings these days.
I used this recipe, from the "Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book."
Creamy French Dressing
3 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
Dash cayenne pepper
1 clove garlic, minced (or pressed)
3/4 cup olive oil or salad oil
Combine everything, except the oil, in a bowl, blender, or food processor. Then, with mixer, blender, or food processor running, add the oil in a thin, slow stream.
I did it in a bowl and whisked while adding the oil. It works fine, but is kind of tiring because this process takes 2-3 minutes (it says that in the recipe).
Serve immediately or store covered in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Stir or shake well before using.
Per tablespoon:
Calories - 74
Fat - 8g
Taste - to die for!
Note: the Worcestershire sauce is optional, but who doesn't love Worcestershire sauce? :)
I thought it was a little oily, so I am going to play around with adding less oil. Maybe substituting for it with a little water. I also want to sub in maple syrup for the sugar, just for fun.
I'll let you know how it goes.



0 comments:
Post a Comment