Thursday, July 12, 2007

Garden Update

Due to transportation issues, namely, we only have one vehicle now, this year's community gardening experience has not been as fruitful as I had hoped in terms of educational experience.

We have managed to get most of the weeds under control, with the aid of a couple of bales of hay, and keep the bugs at bay, with an organic insect repellent my sister recommended to me, so we will get some delicious, locally-grown, organic vegetables out of it, though.

A few years ago, I lost everything to bugs, so that alone was no small victory for me.

The day before yesterday, I had my first small zucchini and summer squash. Very tasty. There will be lots and lots more where they came from. I planted two of each and they are all very big and healthy looking.

I was there putting up poles for the beans, albeit later than I should have, and there are going to be lots of those really soon.

The peas and tomatoes look good, too. And carrots.

Also, Big E has a watermelon that is about the size of a golf ball so far, which he is very proud of. We have yet to have luck growing watermelon.

I also planted pumpkin seeds. The plant looks very strong right now, so I hope that we will get some of our own pumpkins this year.

The jury is still out on whether or not we will get any cucumbers, but Big E's plant looks promising. All of mine died, but I replaced them with a seedling that I bought at a farm stand the other day, so I am still holding out hope that we will have some cukes. (And I really hope so because they are really expensive this year.)

Here is a picture that I took on July 6. I have been back a few times since then, but it still looks pretty much like this, except there are poles in the beans now (front right).

our garden 7-6-07

We still have some weeding issues to address and, unfortunately, I left a lot of open space that should have been used, but I was reading, in the latest Martha Stewart Living, some suggestions of things that it is not too late to plant, so I might use up some of that space after all.

0 comments: