Fun with the Dictionary
I am a frequent user of Merriam-Webster Online. Fortunately for me, Firefox allows one to add Merriam-Webster to the search bar.
You just type the word you want to look up into the search bar of the browser, making sure to choose "Webster" from the drop-down menu, and it takes you to the word's page on m-w.com.
Very cool.
I use this feature multiple times a day, so I thought it would be fun to highlight some of the words I look up. Yes, I know that I am kind of a dork if I really consider dictionary use fun.
Today, I checked to see if I was using the right word from the pair decent and descent. I sometimes mix them up. In this case, I was using the right one, but it is always better to check before using the wrong word, say on my blog or in a comment on someone else's blog.



3 comments:
I knew there was a reason I liked you so much. I thought I was the only one who could pick up a dictionary to look up a word and actually lose track of time reading entry after entry.
Except we use Webster's 1828, also available online!
Webster's 1828?? I guess if you never need to look up new words like airplane or automobile or toaster or electricity...
Okay, why would she need to look up those words? :)
Dana, that's cool that the Webster's 1828 is online. We have been wanting to get one but they are so expensive, we haven't gotten around to it. I'll have to check it out online.
I am not surprised that you are a dictionary reader too. That explains the PhD blog readability level!
Post a Comment