Counting the Cost
When I first became a Christian, I was all about not becoming one of *those* Christians. You know, the ones who are weird, different, almost sheltered in the way that they stay away from pop culture and all things normal.
So, I carried on with one foot in Christ and one foot in the ways of the world because I thought it made me relevant.
Well, it doesn't make me relevant. It makes me a hypocrite. I am now beginning to realize that there are actually two ways that I can be a Christian hypocrite.
There is the way that was obvious to me all along, that I could work so hard at acting holy that I forget that I am still a sinner in need of daily forgiveness, and as a result, look down upon anyone who I think doesn't measure up.
There is also the way that I was not so aware of, and have actually been guilty of, that I could take God's grace so for granted that I forget that, though I am a sinner, I still need to follow Christ. I have come to realize that it is really not enough to be sorry for falling short and ask for forgiveness, I also need to walk the walk, which means often rejecting the ways of the world.
I really can't continue on with one foot in each world and not be a hypocrite. Keeping one foot in the ways of the world requires me to do, see, and think things that are not compatible with what I am told in scripture, what I know is right living, what I profess to follow.
I was listening to the song "Tonight," by Jeremy Camp, one day (video below) and I heard the lines:
Tonight, I will take my crossI realized that I have never really counted the cost of being a disciple.
Tonight, I will count this cost
Sure, I have given up things, I have made sacrifices, but they were mostly material things that I didn't really care that much about.
When it comes to the big things, the things I care about, like my image, my reputation, my delicate ego, I hadn't counted the cost. I didn't think I needed to. I thought I could carry on with one foot in the world.
But, I do. If I want to live the way I have been called to, to do the things I have been called to do, I need to count the cost because it will cost me.
"



0 comments:
Post a Comment