Friday, May 4, 2007

Cinco de Mayo

Updated

I meant to get this up earlier in the week, but it is not too late yet.

Tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo, or Battle of Puebla Day as it says on my calendar. It commemorates the Mexican defeat of the French at Puebla on May 5, 1862. Here is an interesting history of the battle.

About Homeschooling has a Cinco de Mayo entry, which includes a history and printables. Scroll down on either of those pages for more links.

Even though we have no Mexican heritage in my family, we love to have a Mexican feast on Cinco de Mayo. The kids really look forward to it.

This year, I let the kids make the menu. We are having chicken fajitas, tacos, nachos, Chi Chi's corn cake and, a tradition we started last year, virgin strawberry margaritas for the kids.

Dessert has always been the tricky part for me. Last year, I made cinnamon chocolate brownies. I think I just put cinnamon in the regular brownie recipe. I did not use authentic Mexican chocolate.

This year, I think we will use this recipe from Family Fun. Cinnamon Crisps, which are a simple version of Churros.

Update: Here are a couple more dessert recipes.
Ice Cream Tacos
Mexican Cocoa Torte

0 comments: